By Allergy & Asthma Specialists – 4/9/2013
Pollen counts are already high, and the mild and wet winter we just experienced will only make things worse in the coming weeks.
Many adults and children can expect to suffer from itchy, watery, red eyes and an stuffy, itchy, runny nose for the next several months.
Hampton Roads is a great place to raise a family, but a terrible place for anyone suffering from seasonal allergies thanks to a sneeze-inducing combination of lush vegetation and a warm climate. People who move here from other areas are surprised when they develop allergies. But they soon learn that they’ve moved to the allergy capital of Virginia, and perhaps the nation.
Complete avoidance of pollen is impractical, but there are ways to reduce your family’s exposure:
Tips to manage the spring allergy season
• Keep windows and doors closed to prevent pollen from coming into your house.
• Drive your car with the windows up.
• Pets bring pollen into your home after being outside.
• Don’t hang your laundry out to dry! Pollen will collect on it.
• Change your clothes and take a shower after being outside a long time.
• Avoid sleeping/napping on fabric sofas as they can accumulate large amounts of
• Take your allergy medications as directed by your physician.
Some doctors also recommend:
• Minimize outdoor morning activity. Pollen levels tend to be highest between 5AM & 10AM.
• Stay indoors on high pollen count days.
• Windy days stir up pollen. Consider that when going outdoors.
At Allergy & Asthma Specialists, we feel that if your allergies are so bad that you cannot face the outdoors, it is time to come and see us. We can help you enjoy our beautiful spring days.
You can find more allergy tips at our website by clicking here.
If you live in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, or Hampton Roads and are suffering from pollen and spring allergies, please call us at any of our 3 allergy clinics listed below. Our allergy doctors are here to help you.
About our allergy clinics
Since 1951 the allergy doctors at Allergy & Asthma Specialists have been successfully treating children and adults in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and throughout Hampton Roads who suffer from pollen and spring allergies.