Many of our patients in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and throughout Hampton Roads are surprised by the fact that in many cases asthma is caused or aggravated by allergies. This happens because both conditions are associated with inflammation. Inflammation in the lower airways (i.e. asthma) triggers inflammation and additional symptoms in the nose/eyes. However, if the allergies are treated, the asthma will be controlled or even cured.
Following are some pollen avoidance tips from our allergy and asthma doctors:
• Wear a pollen mask or goggles while gardening and mowing the lawn.
• Limit gardening to short intervals on high pollen days.
• Keep the windows closed during the pollen season.
• After yard work, leave your clothing outside of the bedroom, brush off shoes and rinse off glasses.
• Shower and shampoo after spending time outdoors.
If you or your child may be suffering from allergies or asthma, please call us at any of our 3 locations listed below. We are here to help you.
About our asthma clinic
Since 1951 our allergy doctors and asthma doctors have been successfully treating adults and children in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and throughout Hampton Roads, where the climate is conducive to allergy and asthma problems.